From a press release provided by Barlow Respiratory Hospital:
Start out every exercise regimen by breathing deeply and doing one of these chest mobility exercises prior to activity:
- Wave – inhale 2 counts and raise your arms overhead / exhale 4 counts and lower your arms
- Hug – inhale 2 counts and spread your arms sideways / exhale 4 counts and cross arms over chest.
- Eagle – inhale 2 counts and spread arms sideways / exhale 4 counts and lower arms
- Butterfly – inhale 2 counts and interlock hands behind head and push elbows back / exhale and bring together
When stretching and conditioning, ensure to coordinate the counts with your breathing:
- Inhale at rest for 2 counts through the nose and exhale while doing the movement with pursed lips
- During conditioning exercises be sure to inhale at rest and exhale while you do the isometric exercise for 4 counts
During aerobic exercise make sure to inhale 2 counts and exhale 4 counts without stopping during the activity.
When building endurance through exercises such as walking, running or biking, increase the time gradually and focus on breathing and expanding the lungs fully.
Make sure to pace yourself during any exercise. Take short breaks to recover, check heart rate and oxygen saturation (if possible) then recover and proceed. Don’t overdo it!
is located at 2000 Stadium Way LA CA 90026.